Sunday 1 May 2011

Cucumber and elderflower...Ginteresting


Sometimes there's nothing more you want that a stiff drink after a long hot day at the office. After seeing it on a few cocktails around town, I started craving an Apple and Elderflower martini. I know this isn't a real martini, but I lack enough cocktail knowledge to give it it's true name

This presented me with a dilemma. I love cold gin, but when it's room temperature, it's rather brutal without first warming up your tolerances and useless as I am, I never have the foresight to put the gin back into the freezer after I pour my last drink.

This was solved for me accidentally upon my first attempt at the drink. Not being sure the juice yield of the average cucumber, I decided to just juice the whole thing. Obviously this then left me with too much juice for a single drink, so I came up with a cunning plan.



Freeze the cucumber-elderflower mix into ice cubes.

When thirsty, just chuck one into a shaker, throw in slightly more gin that most would say is wise, and shake until the rattling stops.


Perfect on a stifling evening in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment